EVGA Supernova 1600 G2

Case Fans

Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700

Acorns/GPUS

4 X 215+/ 4 X Vega 64

Riser Cables

Thermaltake PCIE 16 riser cable x 4

Thoughts behind the rig:

Thanks the the awesome help from members of our community this was the rig we came up with to have the best case scenario of using 4 acorns with 4 vegas and minimal bottlenecking. X399 boards have mixed reviews at best, definitely a risky purchase, from what i've read the ASUS board is one of the most reliable with the slots I require. In some areas it may seem odd where I'm spending money, but future use for me is crucial as ROI on this machine will be a number of years unless i can resell hardware. Plus you can get some pretty crazy hashes out of a 2950x and will be interesting to see what acorn acceleration does to that as well. And of course to be perfectly honest its an excuse to buy a threadripper.

I haven't figured out what I will do for my 2 BCU's/ 1 CVP13, still need some advice in that respect but from what Ive read requires much less horsepower. I will update this post with what I decide on.

What are you guys building? Or what do you have ready and waiting?

Honey

habitat412

Newcomer
Hey All,

My Acorn Rig will be as follows:

Frame

Veddha 6 GPU

CPU

Threadripper 2950X

CPU Cooler

Noctua NH-U12S Cooler

Motherboard

ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme

Ram

Corsair Vengeance 16GB

SSD

Kingston A400 240gb

PSU

EVGA Supernova 1600 G2

Case Fans

Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700

Acorns/GPUS

4 X 215+/ 4 X Vega 64

Riser Cables

Thermaltake PCIE 16 riser cable x 4

Thoughts behind the rig:

Thanks the the awesome help from members of our community this was the rig we came up with to have the best case scenario of using 4 acorns with 4 vegas and minimal bottlenecking. X399 boards have mixed reviews at best, definitely a risky purchase, from what i've read the ASUS board is one of the most reliable with the slots I require. In some areas it may seem odd where I'm spending money, but future use for me is crucial as ROI on this machine will be a number of years unless i can resell hardware. Plus you can get some pretty crazy hashes out of a 2950x and will be interesting to see what acorn acceleration does to that as well. And of course to be perfectly honest its an excuse to buy a threadripper.

I haven't figured out what I will do for my 2 BCU's/ 1 CVP13, still need some advice in that respect but from what Ive read requires much less horsepower. I will update this post with what I decide on.

What are you guys building? Or what do you have ready and waiting?

Honey
That sounds like it will be a beast! Excited to see how that performs!

OP
OP
Honey

Honey

Newcomer
Thanks, worried about the motherboard, all of the x399 offerings have brutal reviews. Going to get a solid warrenty thats for sure lol.

habitat412

Newcomer
So do the BCU's require certain motherboards as well? I wasn't following that on the Discord or at least I didn't see it anywhere?

OP
OP
Honey

Honey

Newcomer
It’s something I’m looking for info on as well. Zeth made a post explaining a bit of the limitations. Emphasizing PSU requirements for the VCU. Apparently it can pull 450w on inrush. Reading into his comment G4400 will work for a couple cards but won’t be worth it if your going for a larger rig of BCUs.

D9AD5FB5-42BF-4C70-A4AA-744B14AE976E.jpeg

habitat412

Newcomer
I was thinking about getting those HP server power supplies or ASIC power supplies to power up the cards. I've seen a lot of people power the gpu's only with the proper breakaway boards plus it is a lot cheaper than trying to get a 1600watt psu from EVGA and more reliable and stable in the long run, at least those are my thoughts

Soul of Jacobeh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As long as, for those HP 1200Ws, you double check two things. First, and the most obvious, don't get a super-china-cheap breakout board. Get an OK one with decent gauge wires coming from it.
Second, and this one can be tricky: Some of those server PSUs are "1200W at 240V" but only 900W at 120V. Ensure the unit you're grabbing will remain at the power rating you require on the voltage you can supply to it. Also give it a fan that blows into it on the breakout-board side, unless you open it and reverse the fan. If you're maxing those out they get pretty toasty.

acv_

Newcomer
Couldnt decide on hijacking or creating a new thread but what are people planning for 1525s? Midrange (i3) cpu, and plenty of x16 slots?

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Couldnt decide on hijacking or creating a new thread but what are people planning for 1525s? Midrange (i3) cpu, and plenty of x16 slots?
Maybe I should create a separate thread to split the convo in two? Leave this one for acorns, and the larger FPGA cards for a different thread?

mattstyle

Newcomer
9 rigs that have Z270 SLI Plus boards and RX580s.. they have 3 16x pci slots.. and 2 m2.pro slots.. BUT I ordered a bunch of 2X nests.. so was thinking.. they are celeron so only 2 cores which means a max of 4 acorns..

I'll just run 3 on a 6 card rig..
4 580s hooked up to the nest with two acorn 101s
2 580s on the mobo
1 acron in the m2 slot..
4gb ram.. hope that works..

maybe it'll work.. maybe it wont! if not I'll just run 2 in the nest with 4 gpus..

my vega56 rigs are 1200 miles away so won't be able to mess with those..

NWhiskeyTango

Newcomer
My Acorn Rig plans as of now include (probably will get tweeked upon SQRL deliveries)(edits; x399 Designaire block diagram):

Frame

Custom 1-off Open-Air

PSU

EVGA 1600w P2

Motherboard

X399 Designare

CPU

Threadripper 1950x

SSD

Samsung 860evo 250GB

RAM

Corsair Vengeance 16GB

GPU

(5x)1080TI Aorus WB

Risers

SQRL PCIe 3.0 x1

Nest & Acorns

X2G & (5x)CLE-215+

COOLING

PARTS

Pump

EKWB Dual D5 Pump/Res

Radiator

Watercool MO-RA3 360

CPU Block

XSPC Raystorm NEO

GPU Block

Stock

Hopefully this turns out ok (or editable) as this is my first post here. Shout out Honey for the layout idea, thank you, looks clean.

The motherboard, cpu and cpu block, and orders from SQRL are new for this rig. The rest are parts I have gathered from stuff laying around or reassembling other rigs.

...Room for Growth
X399 motherboards can have two PCIe x16 slots at x16 speed. The plan in the future is to add a Nest X4G and 4 more Acorns CLE-215+ for CPU mining IF results pan out to be worth it. Or, I could add the X4G and run 9 acorns (4 in the X4G, 2 in the X2G, 3 in the motherboard M.2s) with options to (1) double up Acorns to GPUs, or (2) add more GPUs. The combinations of acorn:gpu will depend on testing.

Not sure what else to add here. Please, feel free to ask me if you have ?s. Thanks all!

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Honey

Honey

Newcomer
...Room for Growth
X399 motherboards can have two PCIe x16 slots at x16 speed. The plan in the future is to add a Nest X4G and 4 more Acorns CLE-215+ for CPU mining IF results pan out to be worth it. Or, I could add the X4G and run 9 acorns (4 in the X4G, 2 in the X2G, 3 in the motherboard M.2s) with options to (1) double up Acorns to GPUs, or (2) add more GPUs. The combinations of acorn:gpu will depend on testing.

I like it! I went with the cheaper x399 Designare. Mostly because of the backplate. I designed an air tunnel and used a pc fan that draws air across the back of the board for extra cooling. Hope i don't run into the reliability issues you speak of, 2-months strong so far and no errors.
I'm in the same boat with the combinations, its great that SQRL miner will allow you to select what hardware you want the acorns to accelerate, will make it easy to see the performance of the cpu vs gpus.

If ur two months deep you're most likely in the clear, the crappy part about the x399 reviews is they are using the same boards with a bios update for the second gen. A lot of people causing FUD over bios issues and stupid things like not having on board graphics. Just makes it hard to find a reliable source to trust reviews on.

Your build is going to be sick, cant wait to see pics.

NWhiskeyTango

Newcomer
Thanks, worried about the motherboard, all of the x399 offerings have brutal reviews. Going to get a solid warrenty thats for sure lol.
The only X399 issue I have is a personal one. Overclocking an AMD CPU is new to me being that I am use to an I7. Guides are horrible and (my board) Aorus has been no help. So far, making small (bios) adjustments here and there has got my CPU up to 3.9Ghz on linux branches. I like that you later mention being able to select which hardware to accelerate with acorns through the SQRL miner. I wasn't aware of this :)

OP
OP
Honey

Honey

Newcomer
The only X399 issue I have is a personal one. Overclocking an AMD CPU is new to me being that I am use to an I7. Guides are horrible and (my board) Aorus has been no help. So far, making small (bios) adjustments here and there has got my CPU up to 3.9Ghz on linux branches. I like that you later mention being able to select which hardware to accelerate with acorns through the SQRL miner. I wasn't aware of this :)
Nice! Once my gear finally gets here I’ll try the same and let you know how it goes.

I don’t want to get your hopes up too high with sqrl miner I may be reading into it. The statement I’m referring to was “You tell it what coin and which hardware, and it figures out the best way to use all the hardware” until we have the miner, I’m not sure if we can just uncheck a gpu and check a cpu for example.

66tbird

Newcomer
I'm just keeping it simple and cheap for both the Acorns and my one BCU. H110 series mobo/ minimal dual core/ small SSD. Acorns 101's will run in a 2X nest with four 580's. If there is room I'll add a few more gpus and a 215+ in the M2. The main goal is low power and experiment with the different algos. Same Mobo/cpu/ssd with the BCU. Just going to keep it simple till I get a feel or need more resources. I only have so much extra solar kwh to go around so maxing the hash without getting on the pay side of the electric curve is the goal.

acv_

Newcomer
Damn you guys are building some pricey rigs. Gonna haver to search for some bargain cpus.
So after all these months, I'm still confused as to Mobo and CPU requirements. I'm going to be running 6x 1080ti rigs and 6x Vega 56 rigs. Do I NEED $400 CPUs? Is there a cheaper slightly less ideal alternative? It's hard for my brain to accept spending $600-700 on Mobo+cpu

Last edited:

NWhiskeyTango

Newcomer
Yeah I was gonna make sure of that. Don’t wanna cause a fire or anything like that.
I'd also like to add, most EVGA PSU have 7-10 year warranties if i remember correctly. Basically why the higher costs imo.
Damn you guys are building some pricey rigs. Gonna haver to search for some bargain cpus.
So after all these months, I'm still confused as to Mobo and CPU requirements. I'm going to be running 6x 1080ti rigs and 6x Vega 56 rigs. Do I NEED $400 CPUs? Is there a cheaper slightly less ideal alternative? It's hard for my brain to accept spending $600-700 on Mobo+cpu
How many acorns? It's mostly about PCIe lanes, somewhat about future proofing.
I'm just keeping it simple and cheap for both the Acorns and my one BCU. H110 series mobo/ minimal dual core/ small SSD. Acorns 101's will run in a 2X nest with four 580's. If there is room I'll add a few more gpus and a 215+ in the M2. The main goal is low power and experiment with the different algos. Same Mobo/cpu/ssd with the BCU. Just going to keep it simple till I get a feel or need more resources. I only have so much extra solar kwh to go around so maxing the hash without getting on the pay side of the electric curve is the goal.
Let us know how that works out please! I also have an H110 but decided not to use it for acorns because of the 1x PCIe slots. And my Pro BTC+ board's M.2 is SATA :/

Last edited:

MiNiMAL

Newcomer
Hello, I would like to know what you think, I currently have 48 GPU RX570 running, and I'm trying to make a good configuration with Acorn not too split and do the best to invest cheap

For now I find 2 motherboards that could do the trick AMD and Intel, however the price is not the same

-ASRock Z170 OC Formula LGA 1151 ( 3 x Ultra M.2 + 7 pci-E) ( 130$ - 200$~ + 90$ Processor )
Z170 OC formula.png
-ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming ( 3 x Ultra M.2 + 5 pci-E ) ( 526 $~ + 503$ AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X )

AsrockFatal1ty.png

My choice will turn to the ASRock Z170 OC Formula LGA 1151, Seeing that my goal is to mine only GPU, I will not put 500$ in a processor...

So on the Asrock Z170 OC Formula, you have 3 ultra M.2 that can receive 3 Acorn, you add Nest X4 so + 4 Acorn, for a total of 7 Acorn, so we just have 6 Pci-E free to put the GPU also it is possible to add Ubit Multi-interface PCI-E Riser That allows you to add 4 Pci-E(50$),
Basically you can mount up to 7 Gpu under Acorn + 1 see 2 without mod, view that Windows is a bit bridle to 8 GPU
Ubit Pcireiser.png

I let you do the math and tell me what you think
Knowing that currently I run with 4 rigs of 12 under Ethos
I have another question, it must absolutely 1: 1 Acorn + GPU or it can work 1 Acorn for 2 GPU? If this is possible without losing too much or still gaining in optimization, 8 GPU for 4 Acorn is what I would do

Last edited:

BDF_

Newcomer
Hello, I would like to know what you think, I currently have 48 GPU RX570 running, and I'm trying to make a good configuration with Acorn not too split and do the best to invest cheap

For now I find 2 motherboards that could do the trick AMD and Intel, however the price is not the same

-ASRock Z170 OC Formula LGA 1151 ( 3 x Ultra M.2 + 7 pci-E) ( 130$ - 200$~ + 90$ Processor )

-ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming ( 3 x Ultra M.2 + 5 pci-E ) ( 526 $~ + 503$ AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X )

My choice will turn to the ASRock Z170 OC Formula LGA 1151, Seeing that my goal is to mine only GPU, I will not put 500$ in a processor...

So on the Asrock Z170 OC Formula, you have 3 ultra M.2 that can receive 3 Acorn, you add Nest X4 so + 4 Acorn, for a total of 7 Acorn, so we just have 6 Pci-E free to put the GPU also it is possible to add Ubit Multi-interface PCI-E Riser That allows you to add 4 Pci-E(50$),
Basically you can mount up to 7 Gpu under Acorn + 1 see 2 without mod, view that Windows is a bit bridle to 8 GPU

I let you do the math and tell me what you think
Knowing that currently I run with 4 rigs of 12 under Ethos
I have another question, it must absolutely 1: 1 Acorn + GPU or it can work 1 Acorn for 2 GPU? If this is possible without losing too much or still gaining in optimization, 8 GPU for 4 Acorn is what I would do
Many of your questions are answered in the FAQ on the acorn product page: http://squirrelsresearch.com/faq/ it will give you answers such as:

-How many acorns for how many gpus do you need?
-How many cpu cores do you need?

The Ubit Multi-interface PCI-E Riser you linked does not have the bandwith required for acorns to boost any gpus you connect to it, if you have a configuration that requires it you need to use a Nest X2G instead or a splitter that has a very expensive on-board pcie switch.

Also, specifically about the Z170 OC Formula motherboard, I've reports from a competent miner (Bry Guy) that it has issues even seeing 6 gpus connected to it, much less 7 gpus and 7 acorns. I would avoid it unless we get specific testimonials about that motherboard working.

It would appear you need to still research pcie lane allocation, layout, and how it relates to acorns requirement for bandwith between themselves and the gpus their boosting. Several of your ideas introduce colossal bottlenecks in bandwidth that would prevent you from getting an acorn's rated boost.

Last edited:

BDF_

Newcomer
Since the Acorns are getting close to the end of production, thought I'd post a reminder here to people to make sure your rig can boot, recognize all gpus, and mine stably with all slots set to PCI-e Gen 3.0.

If you're using exclusively nest X2G, then the above statement likely does not apply to you.

noobasaur

Newcomer
A lot of people who got into mining may not have come from the prosumer/enthusiast side of PC Master Race. With that said, things like "I won't spend $xxx on a CPU" or "wtf that motherboard costs $xxx", are bound to be seen. During the surge of the crypto boom many started copying cookie cutter builds. Makes sense to put together a rig as cheap as possible so that you can reach ROI as quick as possible. The problem being that there wasn't foresight of future-proofing their rigs in the case of new tech/add ons.

Anyway, since there are too many variables to consider for each end user (motherboard/CPU/GPU/algo/etc.) this thread was born. I have 1x 101 and 2x 215+ pre-ordered that I'm anticipating to test with the following GPUs:

R9 Fury
RX 460/470/480/550/580
GTX 1070/1070 Ti/1080 Ti
RTX 2080 Ti
Vega 56/64

The setup(s) I will be using are:

CPU - 6850k (40 lane) | 5820k (28 lane) | i3 6100 (16 lane)
Motherboard - Gigabyte X99-SLI | Gigabyte X99P-SLI | ASUS P10S WS

Now thinking about it, I may try to get a Nest X2G so I can test with my Celeron/non-m.2 rigs. Regardless, Acorns should be shipping this week so prepare to dump your :poop:coins on Dream's command :p

BDF_

Newcomer
The unless there is some grand imbalance between nvidia/amd, the GPU variable is the most boring one. It's the interaction between acorn / cpu / motherboard that will be the most interesting imo.

Top Bottom