Discussion BCU1525/CVP-13 Rig Setup

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

BCU1525.png

CVP-13-angle-900px.jpg

What do you guys plan to use for your FPGA card setup? If you already haven't done so, read this resource before posting.

I went the easy route and paid for a black box from @kjs. I plan on purchasing the user-upgradeable PCIe Switch (Coming SoonTM) to make all the slots x16 electrical when the developers start to build bitstreams that take advantage of this, currently none of them do. The link to the October batch can be found here.

Last edited:

Honey

Newcomer
My current plan for my water-cooled 2 BCUs/ 1 CVP13

Thoughts behind the rig:

CPU will give me some room to add another card, at which point expanding beyond that Id build another rig. I will run two separate loops, 2 480 rads and 1 pump/ reservoir for the BCUs. The 1 480 rad and its own pump for the CVP-13 (may add another rad depends on thermals). Fittings might seem excessive but barbed fittings bother me (although i'm sure a perfectly viable option). The CVP13's cooling block will come with 10/13mm (inner/outer) diameter hoses pre attached so I may add a couple quick connects for this. The cryofuel will put my corrosion worries at ease although I have zero aluminum in my loop.

CPU

Ryzen 3 2200g

CPU Cooler

Stock

Ram

G.Skill Aegis 1x8gig 3000

Motherboard

ASRock B350 Pro 4

SSD

Kingston A400

PSU

EVGA Supernova 1600 G2

Rack

Veddha 6-Gpu

Radiators

EK-CoolStream XE 480 (Quad) XE (3 of them)

Pump/ Reservoir

EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM (incl pump) - sleeved (2 of them)

Fittings

EK-ACF Fitting 10/16mm (3/8"ID 5/8"OD) - Nickel (14 of them)

Tube

EK-Tube ZMT Matte Black 3/8"-5/8" ( 15,9/9,5mm ) (15 ft)

Fans

Noctua NF-P12 (12 of them)

Fan Switch

6-Way Fan Power Distribution Hub SATA to 3-pin with Switch (2 of them)

Coolant

EK-CryoFuel Clear Concentrate 100 mL

mattstyle

Newcomer
That ryzen 3 2200G looks appealing.. 98$ -- 4 cores - that - on boad gfx

I was thinking
2 XSPC EX360 radiators - triple fans
2 pumps - MCP50X
2 reserboirs
6 fans
fan controller

hooking up 2 BCUs to one radiator - hence 2 radiators..

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 process - seems pricy at 289 though

going with 2 power supplies though..
Bittmain or HP 1600 watt supply - $100-120 for 3 BCUS
EVGA 750 watt gold supply for mobo fans / pump and 1 BCU..

16gb DDR4 3000mhz

I think that is overkill. .I like the ryzen 3 2200g, ab350pro -- that sure to work!?

_B1_

Newcomer
I've spent weeks agonizing over a case decision, I can't really do open frame - and now considering external radiator and a 4u server case. I haven't even got to CPU/MB/hose diameter/color of coolant ....

Morybundus

Newcomer
I am planning to build my own rig for 2 bcus too, but I would like to make it as small as possible. Some rack would be cool tho, do you have some tip? I found this one: https://www.softech.cz/nezarazeno/spire/1491146

- I will have them watercooled with 2 360rads (was thinking about water-water heat exchanger, but mb later)
- will use HP1200w and some small PSU (does it have to be 80 gold or better?)

Pandoraaaaa

Newcomer
Is it possible to put at least 2 water cooled fpga cards inside a gaming tower? It's really big.

I have this tower: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Series PH-ES614P_BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854003

I want to put this in my bedroom to spread the electricity draw across the house circuits. So I need it to be quiet and neatly contained.

I haven't yet decided which fpga cards to purchase, but I guess water cooled fpga cards are wider than double wide gpus? But maybe I can get 2 fpgas in there - direct mounted into x16 slots?

Also I guess I would need atx power supply, not server psu, but maybe that case can hold 2 atx psus? There is enough space down there (bottom and back) - I believe...cables might be an issue, and airflow.

Last edited:

Honey

Newcomer
That ryzen 3 2200G looks appealing.. 98$ -- 4 cores - that - on boad gfx
I think that is overkill. .I like the ryzen 3 2200g, ab350pro -- that sure to work!?
Depends what you want to do with this system, The Ryzen 3 meets Zetherons criteria of 1 CPU core per 2 VCUs/ 1 VCU per thread (if your only running a few cards). Running a Ryzen 7 may be overkill if the rigs going to sit on your floor, but not if your going to add a bunch more cards or if you have a future use for it. Likely the 7 may get you some return on ebay at a later date as well where a Ryzen 3 will get much less. Could also meet in the middle and go with a 5 2400g (169$ USD)

I've spent weeks agonizing over a case decision, I can't really do open frame - and now considering external radiator and a 4u server case. I haven't even got to CPU/MB/hose diameter/color of coolant ....
I am planning to build my own rig for 2 bcus too, but I would like to make it as small as possible. Some rack would be cool tho, do you have some tip? I found this one: https://www.softech.cz/nezarazeno/spire/1491146
You can do some pretty neat things with server racks, especially if you are going to have a bunch of them, lots of companies out there with different solutions, but if you put quick disconnects on the external cooling setup it will make it easier to work on. Koolance makes awesome cooling products as well, but may he hard to get your hands on.
inx-2u_p4-700x700.jpg

will use HP1200w and some small PSU (does it have to be 80 gold or better?
@Soul of Jacobeh posted some solid info in the acorn thread about HP 1200W PSUs check it out Acorn Rig Setup
Is it possible to put at least 2 water cooled fpga cards inside a gaming tower? It's really big.

I have this tower: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Series PH-ES614P_BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

I haven't yet decided which fpga cards to purchase, but I guess water cooled fpga cards are wider than double wide gpus? But maybe I can get 2 fpgas in there - direct mounted into x16 slots?

Also I guess I would need atx power supply, not server psu, but maybe that case can hold 2 atx psus? There is enough space down there (bottom and back) - I believe...cables might be an issue, and airflow.

The case description says "4 different installation areas for single to triple radiators (120mm and 140mm form factor)." So in theory you could get a couple triple rads in there, throw on fans, throw on BCUS with water cooling....its going to be really tight. If your intention is to only run 2 BCUS grab a nice 1300w PSU and just stick with the one, putting two in there you will definitely run out of room. Sounds like making the case work will be more trouble than its worth.

Last edited:

Pandoraaaaa

Newcomer
Thanks for feedback. It sounds like 2 bcus will fit just right? Plus x16r! I would like to get it perfectly filled, because with all my rigs I have a bad habit of trying to do more and more reorganizing and then they are just never done...

Is 2 bcu better than 1 cvp-13?

Honey

Newcomer
Thanks for feedback. It sounds like 2 bcus will fit just right? Plus x16r! I would like to get it perfectly filled, because with all my rigs I have a bad habit of trying to do more and more reorganizing and then they are just never done...

Is 2 bcu better than 1 cvp-13?
It’s going to be tight if it does work, probably going to have to wait and see if that’s the route you want to go. As for BCUs vs CVPs it’s subjective CVPs are estimated to hash at a 50% higher rate but the roi is roughly the same as the BCU, the main advantage is larger algos like x16r can fit on one card instead of two. However those bitstreams aren’t planned to be ready until 1Q 2019.

Pandoraaaaa

Newcomer
Thank you for helping me! `

How many watts does each one need, sorry I only see amps everywhere and I don't know how to think in amps.

So 2 x bcu ~ 1.5 cvp on the hashes for maybe c7? I wonder about hashes/watt. I guess we will know more by Christmas hopefully.

I still have a tiny bit of room to add gpus, then I'll experiment with the acorns I guess, but not until after I see how the miner is working for other people. So it'll be next year before I get this fpga rig built.

Honey

Newcomer
Thank you for helping me! `

How many watts does each one need, sorry I only see amps everywhere and I don't know how to think in amps.

So 2 x bcu ~ 1.5 cvp on the hashes for maybe c7? I wonder about hashes/watt. I guess we will know more by Christmas hopefully.

I still have a tiny bit of room to add gpus, then I'll experiment with the acorns I guess, but not until after I see how the miner is working for other people. So it'll be next year before I get this fpga rig built.
Have a look at the resource dream wrote, we will def know more once people gets their hands on the gear to test it, hashes are all approximations.

Morybundus

Newcomer
My current plan for my water-cooled 2 BCUs/ 1 CVP13

Thoughts behind the rig:

CPU will give me some room to add another card, at which point expanding beyond that Id build another rig. I will run two separate loops, 2 480 rads and 1 pump/ reservoir for the BCUs. The 1 480 rad and its own pump for the CVP-13 (may add another rad depends on thermals). Fittings might seem excessive but barbed fittings bother me (although i'm sure a perfectly viable option). The CVP13's cooling block will come with 10/13mm (inner/outer) diameter hoses pre attached so I may add a couple quick connects for this. The cryofuel will put my corrosion worries at ease although I have zero aluminum in my loop.

CPU

Ryzen 3 2200g

CPU Cooler

Stock

Ram

G.Skill Aegis 1x8gig 3000

Motherboard

ASRock B350 Pro 4

SSD

Kingston A400

PSU

EVGA Supernova 1600 G2

Rack

Veddha 6-Gpu

Radiators

EK-CoolStream XE 480 (Quad) XE (3 of them)

Pump/ Reservoir

EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM (incl pump) - sleeved (2 of them)

Fittings

EK-ACF Fitting 10/16mm (3/8"ID 5/8"OD) - Nickel (14 of them)

Tube

EK-Tube ZMT Matte Black 3/8"-5/8" ( 15,9/9,5mm ) (15 ft)

Fans

Noctua NF-P12 (12 of them)

Fan Switch

6-Way Fan Power Distribution Hub SATA to 3-pin with Switch (2 of them)

Coolant

EK-CryoFuel Clear Concentrate 100 mL

hola, I made this little diagram, I used almost same components like you. Can you check it if its all connected where it belongs? next thing is, that I will not need sqrl riser with this MB? because I will connect them directly to MB and there will be still enough space for other components. thx

Attachments

Soul of Jacobeh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hm. That looks pretty nice.
If you're connecting directly to the motherboard, you do not need risers; however, please confirm your motherboard can handle supplying a full 75W over the PCIe lanes as necessary. A good board can, but some of the cheaper stuff would probably have a stroke keeping up with the potential maximums of multiple BCUs.

Morybundus

Newcomer
Hm. That looks pretty nice.
If you're connecting directly to the motherboard, you do not need risers; however, please confirm your motherboard can handle supplying a full 75W over the PCIe lanes as necessary. A good board can, but some of the cheaper stuff would probably have a stroke keeping up with the potential maximums of multiple BCUs.
where to find it? : O I like this board https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350 Pro4/#Specification and I will not go with more than 2bcus

Soul of Jacobeh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's an OK board (for an ASRock at least) so it'll probably be OK. Any of the enthusiast spec crazy stuff like Maximus boards for-sure can support all their lanes at/near max power draw. I just worry about cheaper boards.
Technically PCIe spec requires that they support 75W on each x16 lane, I believe, but that doesn't mean they'll survive it. I see ASRock and I shudder, because I've had too many die on me.

CharlieXbrit

Newcomer
Hey guys, seeing a bunch of different things thrown around abt PSUs, but having trouble figuring out what would be best for one BCU. Can anyone recommend a PSU that would have the proper power on the 12v rail that would work for one BCU?

OP
OP
Dream

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey guys, seeing a bunch of different things thrown around abt PSUs, but having trouble figuring out what would be best for one BCU. Can anyone recommend a PSU that would have the proper power on the 12v rail that would work for one BCU?
Any EVGA PSU that is gold or platinum rated, ensuring you have roughly enough power (375/400w max) for your card.

DJMiner

Newcomer
Any EVGA PSU that is gold or platinum rated, ensuring you have roughly enough power (375/400w max) for your card.
That’s certainly what GPUHoarder said in yesterday’s discord, which seems to contradict other posts about PSU minimums.

AlgoMiner

Newcomer
Hi Guys, so I'm considering the BCUs with the water blocks. Any suggestions on what cooling kits would work with a 8 BUC w/waterblock setup?
I am open to AIO and custom whichever will be most effective / efficient. I checked out

@Honey's parts list, but wondering if an all inclusive kit is available for the job.

Thanks!

Honey

Newcomer
@AlgoMiner Lots of kits out there, ek makes nice ones but are pricey, koolance makes amazing products as well. Really comes down to your budget. From my research putting together your own kit has been cheaper in most cases. Just stay away from aluminium rads/parts. Lots of people suggest thermaltake as an inexpensive solid option. Check out https://thefpgaforum.com/threads/fpga-watercooling-guide.26/#post-203

AlgoMiner

Newcomer

mattstyle

Newcomer
any reason NOT to use a celeron 3900 series with 4 BCUs ? I have a 6 card rx580 rig I want to dismantle and use for the FPGAs..

Top Bottom