Guide FPGA Watercooling guide

OP
OP
justinjja

justinjja

Nice, that all looks good.

So the pumps can plug into 2 of the headers,
Then plug all the fans into the last header with the 8 way slitter.

peter

Newcomer
waterc.jpg
Any ideas on the best location for a 2nd pump in a system with 2 pumps acting in series!
See options above.

DJMiner

Newcomer
View attachment 152
Any ideas on the best location for a 2nd pump in a system with 2 pumps acting in series!
See options above.
Everything I've read says Res->Pump->Load->Radiator. If the fluid going into the pump is to hot it'll burn out the pump (which is also a load generator). Granted, it's not the most expensive component in the loop. Therefore, my view is option two.

However, I think the better option is to use two loops. The only additional expense in the example above is a reservoir. Not only does it remove the uncertainty but allows you to keep two FPGA's mining up while you service the other loop.

(EKWB reference for component order: https://www.ekwb.com/blog/does-loop-order-matter/)

Last edited:

peter

Newcomer
I think two separate loops is the best option for a consistent flow rate through the loop; although as i only have two pumps at hand - 2 seperate loops means no redundancy.

By combining the two pumps in series i was hoping that if a pump failed the system could still operate on a single pump..

DJMiner

Newcomer
I think two separate loops is the best option for a consistent flow rate through the loop; although as i only have two pumps at hand - 2 seperate loops means no redundancy.

By combining the two pumps in series i was hoping that if a pump failed the system could still operate on a single pump..
Good idea about redundancy. However, if one of the pumps seize, you may not get any flow anyway. :-(

I spent about 2 hours cleaning my new rads today.
  1. Boil water (let it cool for a couple mins);
  2. Put hot water in rads;
  3. Wait about 10 mins;
  4. Dump half out
  5. Shake vigorously for about 4 minutes
  6. Dump into glass bowl to check on gunk
  7. Repeat until no/minimal gunk
  8. Rinse with distilled water
Without doing this, the gunk would have caught in the extremely fine heatsink for the BCU1525 waterblock... which would be a bigger pain to take apart and clean! Here's a picture of my first round.

Rad cleaning.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
justinjja

justinjja

Those D5 pumps are rated for 60c, unless something else fails, the water shouldn't be that hot anywhere in your loop.
Pump location doesn't matter other than putting at least one pump right after the res to make filling easier.
Even with a stuck rotor, I don't thing these centrifugal pumps would block flow.
I will likely be paralleling 2x3 or 3x2 with my 6 BCU's.

peter

Newcomer
From what i understand running the water blocks in parallel will keep temperatures more consistent throughout the system especially with restrictive blocks. This is the system i plan to run; it requires 5 splitters.
Does anyone know if extenders are required for the waterblocks?

1540643103266.png

OP
OP
justinjja

justinjja

the links between splitters can be dropped so you can use cheaper Y splitters.
also I would add a 6th splitter and put the rads in series.

Extender to fit your barbs?
I don’t think compression fittings will fit, but standard barbs fit.

AlgoMiner

Newcomer
@justinjja thank you for putting together this thread. Very helpful.
I am planning on setting up a 8 card CVP-13 rig in the Hydra II case or the bigger Hyrda VIII case

I am a complete newbie to liquid cooling and have never done a setup before ...

Would you agree that one of these Koolance units that the bittware guys used in their video is enough to cool all 8 CPV-13s? This koolance unit is rated to cool 2700W, but according to your first post 8 CPV-13s should be estimated to need 4kw of cooling. However in one of your other posts you mentioned:

It looks like server cases have room for 3x 120mm fans in the front and 3x 120mm in the back.
I would think 2 high end 360 radiators with PFC1212DE fans would be ok for 2800W.

or you could use external radiators and put all 8 in the same case.
so I am now really confused ... I plan to have my rigs inside of a closet with a portable 12000 BTU ac and ceiling exhausting to keep the ambient temp cool and pull the hot air out ... Should I go with the koolance unit for each 8 card rig? or is there a more cost effective/highly reliable option by assembling from the parts list you provide. Specifics would be sincerely appreciated.
From what i understand running the water blocks in parallel will keep temperatures more consistent throughout the system especially with restrictive blocks. This is the system i plan to run; it requires 5 splitters.
Does anyone know if extenders are required for the waterblocks?

View attachment 158
Thanks for this diagram Peter. Very helpful for noobs like me to understand the tubing. Would you consider putting together a diagram for 8 cards?

Last edited:
OP
OP
justinjja

justinjja

I don't know your full situation, but this would be my recommendation based on what I have heard so far:

- Leave out the Air conditioner, Mining rarely needs HVAC, and adds 25-50% to your electric bill
(Not to mention an hvac would probably be the least reliable part of your system)

- Put 2 1080 radiators in your "ceiling exhaust" area: https://www.aquatuning.us/water-coo...ve/2050/xtreme-nova-1080-radiator-full-copper
I'm assuming this area isn't going to get rained on, if it is, you will need to use outdoor fans, or create a box to protect the fans from the elements.

- 2x mcp50x pumps (Maybe 3 depending on how much higher your radiators are than the fpga's)

Also can you repost the link to the koolance unit you were talking about, the link in your post is going to the hydra case

EDIT, found it on their site:
https://koolance.com/erm-3k3ua-liquid-cooling-system-aluminum

pretty expensive for what you get.
you can estimate water cooling with basic algebra and be fairly accurate:
They say 2700W at 25c Air-Water delta
So at 4000W your looking at something like 37c Air-Water delta

My radiator recommendations shoot for more like 10c Air-Water delta.

Last edited:

AlgoMiner

Newcomer
I don't know your full situation, but this would be my recommendation based on what I have heard so far:

- Leave out the Air conditioner, Mining rarely needs HVAC, and adds 25-50% to your electric bill
(Not to mention an hvac would probably be the least reliable part of your system)

- Put 2 1080 radiators in your "ceiling exhaust" area: https://www.aquatuning.us/water-coo...ve/2050/xtreme-nova-1080-radiator-full-copper
I'm assuming this area isn't going to get rained on, if it is, you will need to use outdoor fans, or create a box to protect the fans from the elements.

- 2x mcp50x pumps (Maybe 3 depending on how much higher your radiators are than the fpga's)

Also can you repost the link to the koolance unit you were talking about, the link in your post is going to the hydra case

EDIT, found it on their site:
https://koolance.com/erm-3k3ua-liquid-cooling-system-aluminum

pretty expensive for what you get.
you can estimate water cooling with basic algebra and be fairly accurate:
They say 2700W at 25c Air-Water delta
So at 4000W your looking at something like 37c Air-Water delta

My radiator recommendations shoot for more like 10c Air-Water delta.
Thanks so mcuh for your response ... the 1080 radiators look awesome. So basically you're telling me, I can get MUCH better cooling performance at a fraction of the cost with the 2 1080s and 2x - 3x mcp 50x pumps right?

Just to clarify on the "ceiling exhaust" area ... I'll be putting my rigs in a closet on top of metal storage racks (like this) ... I'll have a Return Register with an inline fan sucking hot air in the center of the closet ceiling with ducting coming out of it and positioned in front my shelves where hot air needs to be dissipated ...

So If I understand you correctly, you're suggesting that I position the 2x 1080 radiators so that the hot air from those radiators are exhausting out through the ceiling properly correct?

OP
OP
justinjja

justinjja

You don't have to do it this way, But for me It would be easier to run a pair of little 1/2in water lines vs a big 8+ in air duct.
You could run the water lines to wherever the vent exhausts and not need the air duct.

Edit: and yet 2x copper 1080 radiators will do much more cooling than that koolance unit, at a lower price.

AlgoMiner

Newcomer
You don't have to do it this way, But for me It would be easier to run a pair of little 1/2in water lines vs a big 8+ in air duct.
You could run the water lines to wherever the vent exhausts and not need the air duct.

Edit: and yet 2x copper 1080 radiators will do much more cooling than that koolance unit, at a lower price.
Follow up question about the 2x copper 1080 radiators - > They definitely look like the way to go ... but doing some calculations based on your recommendation that every 120 mm will dissipate 175W, I am coming up with 1x1080 for every 3 cards ... 1575W of cooling per 1080 radiator.

Is that right? Would that mean I need 3 x 1080 radiators to cool 8 x CPV-13s?

Also, I know we are estimating on the high end of 500W per CPV-13, but in reality when I spoke with one of the support guys at SQRL, he told me CPV-13 would usually run at 300W, in which case I should be fine as that's a huge delta. What do you say?

P.S. thanks for the suggestion on the water lines, but I think I may need the air duct, because I'll also have Active Air Cooled BCU rigs in that closet as well.

OP
OP
justinjja

justinjja

I have a feeling my 500W estimate was too high.
We won't know for sure until people start actually mining on them.

Even one 1080 radiator would work, just changes how hot your water gets.
this depends on a lot of factors, but something like this is a reasonable scenario:

1x 1080 radiator you might have water running 30c above air temp.
2 1080's would be 15c above the air temp.
and 3 would be 10c above the air temp.

AlgoMiner

Newcomer
I have a feeling my 500W estimate was too high.
We won't know for sure until people start actually mining on them.

Even one 1080 radiator would work, just changes how hot your water gets.
this depends on a lot of factors, but something like this is a reasonable scenario:

1x 1080 radiator you might have water running 30c above air temp.
2 1080's would be 15c above the air temp.
and 3 would be 10c above the air temp.
I see ... so if I were trying to cool 8 CPVs with just 1 x 1080 radiator, the water-to-air temp delta would be almost similar to what the high priced Koolance unit would do. So technically I could get away with the 1 x 1080 radiator for 8 CPV-13s (although I will not risk it).

So now this makes better sense to me, that 2 x 1080 radiators to effectively cool a 8 card CPV-13 rig is reasonable.

Follow up question -> I see people attach either 9 x 120 mm fans or 4 x 180 mm fans to the 180 Radiators ... Would it work if I just place one of these in front of the radiator? I use this to cool my current 6 card Vega 56 GPU rig, and it works well at keeping all the cards below 55C.

OP
OP
justinjja

justinjja

A fan like that has lots of airflow, but not much static pressure.
Works great for open air rigs, but not so good for pushing air through a thick radiator.

DJMiner

Newcomer
OP
OP
justinjja

justinjja

how many/what fpgas?
There is no specific cutoff, the more airflow you have the lower your temps.
But those fans look good, and if your water is getting too hot, you could get 3 more of those fans and put them on the other side for a push/pull setup

Last edited:

DJMiner

Newcomer
2 BCU’s, 2 420 rads, 6 140 fans, 1 pump. So I believe I’m good there. But I’m thinking about buying one more BCU. Think this cooling rig could handle one more? Thank you.

Top Bottom