Guide FPGA Watercooling guide

Scott88

Newcomer
From what i understand running the water blocks in parallel will keep temperatures more consistent throughout the system especially with restrictive blocks. This is the system i plan to run; it requires 5 splitters.
Does anyone know if extenders are required for the waterblocks?

View attachment 158
I'm thinking of this exact same setup for my system (However downscaled to 3BCU's)
Just wondering if i need 2 pumps or will get away with 1?

Pump = https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xtop-revo-d5-pwm-plexi-incl-pump
Radiator = https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-coolstream-ce-420-triple
Havn't decided on the fans yet but im open to suggestions (Noctua or EK ones preferably)

Cheers guys

OP
OP
justinjja

justinjja

2 pumps is nice for redundancy, and would improve your temps a little.
But it should still work fine with 1 pump and 3 BCU's in parallel.

Noctua makes good fans, go for high rpm (and pwm if you want noise control)

Scott88

Newcomer
2 pumps is nice for redundancy, and would improve your temps a little.
But it should still work fine with 1 pump and 3 BCU's in parallel.

Noctua makes good fans, go for high rpm (and pwm if you want noise control)
Alright thanks, I will get 2 of those pumps? I plan on adding more cards and radiators over the next year if everything works out.

I guess all I'm left with now is the fan selection. I'm well aware of Noctua being the market leader and extremely silent. I have a Noctua d15 on my current gaming setup. But they are also hella expensive. This precious rig will be housed inside and not in the garage with the rest of my GPU mining rigs (because... my precioussss) I do want it to be somewhat quiet but doesn't have to be absolutely dead silent. If i was going the Noctua route would i get the 2000RPM, or 3000RPM fans. This is for a radiator that that is 45mm and has a 16 FPI. Sorry, I just want to match all my components up well as I've never water cooled/used radiators before.

If I wanted to save a little cash and have it slightly nosier, I'd be going with either the "EK Vardar EVO 140ER 2000rpm" or "EK Vardar EVO 140 2500rpm"

So what do you guys think is a adequate fan setup for what i want?

Cheers

OP
OP
justinjja

justinjja

All those fans are pwm, so go for the faster one and slow it down.
I haven't used them, but I'm sure EK fans are good too.

I'm considering a setup where my radiators are in the garage, but the BCU's are indoors.
Only issue is I'll need to program a pretty smart fan controller that calculates dew point to prevents condensation.

Scott88

Newcomer
So based off other diagrams in this forum and the suggestion to run the system is parallel, I've come up with this diagram.
The X are splitters. Do you think this is the optimal way to run my water cooling? Thanks

Attachments

OP
OP
justinjja

justinjja

DJMiner - Pumps don't have to match exactly, but it is better if they are at least fairly similar.
My loop has a DDC3.25 pump and an MCP50x pump.

Scott88 - That loop is fine, but you don't need a splitter for the radiators, just run those in series.

OP
OP
justinjja

justinjja

Would be fine, but you don't need 2 reservoirs, the second pump could be an mcp50x and save a little money.

OP
OP
justinjja

justinjja

They were running them under 250W, and the water loop still looked overloaded:
Pic.PNG

BCU are running around 400W with top speed whitefire bitstreams.

If you're uncomfortable working with water cooling, 1 or 2 of those will work.

But a better option is a pair of copper 1080 radiators, 18 120mm fans as loud/quiet as your are comfortable with,
2 MCP50x pumps, and splitters to put all fpga's in parallel, any reservoir that you want.

Last edited:
OP
OP
justinjja

justinjja

Nah 2 for everything is fine.

Res->pump1->pump2->rad1->rad2->splitter->(8 bcus in parallel)->splitter->back to the res

uott2

Newcomer
Would a aquarium cooler be recommended instead of radiators? Linus Tech Tips had a video where they used it to cool a computer.

Top Bottom