Guide Noobs' guide for other noobs to setup a miner on ubuntu 18.04 LTS with NVidia cards

LokarBOA

Newcomer
This guide is intentionally very simple, it's not meant to be a definitive guide and there are many other ways to accomplish many of these tasks. The target audience is Windows users with little to no Linux experience. If you follow the commands in this guide a new Linux user should be able to get up and running with very little drama. This guide includes all the tools you will need to modify Core/Mem/Power settings for your GPUs but does not cover actually tuning the GPUs.

Install Linux - I assume that you are starting from a fresh Ubunutu 18.04 LTS installation.

Open a terminal using Ctrl+Alt+T if you aren't already at a command prompt

Install net-tools
Code:
sudo apt install net-tools
get your IP address
Code:
ifconfig
Install SSH
Code:
sudo apt install openssh-server
Now you can switch to an ssh terminal if you like, I prefer to use Putty to open a terminal from my desktop. You can just continue to do setup from the local terminal window if you like.

Update all the things
Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
Reboot
Code:
sudo reboot now
Install headers
Code:
sudo apt-get install -y linux-headers-generic
Install Xorg
Code:
sudo apt-get install xorg-dev
Reboot
Code:
sudo reboot now
Add gfx driver repo (nvidia)
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
Update it
Code:
sudo apt-get update
Install nvidia driver with cuda
Code:
sudo apt install -y nvidia-driver-415 nvidia-cuda-toolkit
Reboot
Code:
sudo reboot now
Check that the thing is doing the stuff
Code:
lsmod | grep nvidia
setup a cool-bits profile
Code:
sudo nvidia-xconfig -a --cool-bits=31 --allow-empty-initial-configuration
Check that cards are recognized
Code:
nvidia-smi
Nav to desktop or whatever path you want to keep your stuffs
Code:
cd Desktop
Make a folder
Code:
mkdir miners
Nav to your new folder
Code:
cd miners
Now copy over your miner software, in my case I am doing this from a windows machine using pscp

From the folder that contains the Linux version of your mining software (On windows) use shift+Right-click and open a powershell window. Run the command below, replace the miner name, username, and IP address with your own.
Code:
pscp ".\t-rex" username@192.168.1.169:/home/username/Desktop/miners
Now back to ubuntu terminal

Set permissions on your miner
Code:
chmod 700 t-rex
Start your miner
Code:
./t-rex -a x16r -o stratum+tcp://pool.minermore.com:4501 -u UserName.RigName -p x
You should now be mining on Linux. If you use this guide please let me know if you run into any issues so that I can update the guide. Or just let me know how well it worked for you.

Supplemental guide
Adding Acorn Alpha Miner to your Ubuntu 18.04 GPU Miner

Navigate to where you want to upload your acorn miner program files
Code:
cd Desktop/miners
Make a folder
Code:
mkdir acorn
Nav to the folder
Code:
cd acorn
Move the driver and the miner files to the folder, I'm using pscp to transfer them from a windows PC

From the folder that contains the files use shift+right-click and open a powershell window, replace ubuntuminer and the IP address with yours in the commands below
Code:
pscp ".\AcornDriversLinux-1.0.0.tgz" ubuntuminer@192.168.1.169:/home/ubuntuminer/Desktop/miners/acorn
Code:
pscp ".\AcornMinerLinux_Alpha_012c.tar" ubuntuminer@192.168.1.169:/home/ubuntuminer/Desktop/miners/acorn
Unpack
Code:
tar -xvf AcornDriversLinux-1.0.0.tgz
Code:
tar -xvf AcornMinerLinux_Alpha_012c.tar
Give the driver run file permission to execute
Code:
chmod +x AcornDriversLinux-1.0.0.run
Run it
Code:
sudo ./AcornDriversLinux-1.0.0.run
Edit the config file with your pool and wallet info/desired clock speed (When finished Ctrl+X to exit, y to save, enter to confirm)
Code:
sudo nano start_215Plus_2core.sh
Reboot
Code:
sudo reboot now
Nav to acorn folder
Code:
cd Desktop/miners/acorn
Start acorn miner
Code:
sudo sh start_215Plus_2core.sh

Last edited:
OP
OP
LokarBOA

LokarBOA

Newcomer
How do I get to step 1?

Here is a link to Ubuntu download. If you don't know which to download get Desktop image. http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/
Here is a link to Rufus. It's a utility you can use to write the Linux image to a thumb drive. https://rufus.ie/

Download image
Use Rufus to make the USB stick an installer
Insert USB stick
Boot to USB
Follow prompts

Top Bottom