Self-Introductions Thread

Soul of Jacobeh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Everyone who wants to introduce themselves may do so on this thread. If you post an introduction in a new thread it will get deleted and you'll have to move it here. (If I get the plugin working, I'll move it for you; but don't bet on it. Just post in the right place.)
--------------------------

I'll get us started:
I'm Jacob and I'm an admin here. I've mined on and off for a few years. In mid 2017 I took the skills I had developed over those years and introduced building mining rigs for small-scale use to the custom PC business I was operating. With the boom around November '17 we scaled that to sell pre-built, plug-and-play 8-GPU rigs for consumers (even if they didn't have an idea of how to mine). We did understandably well.
I ran into the FPGA community early 2018. I dove head-first into it and realized immersion was perfect for it. (I'd been looking into immersion cooling from December of 2016.) I ended up fairly active in the FPGA Discord early on and moderated the community through its growth from - I think - 300 members up through where it's at now. I hope to post a lot of useful findings on various immersion cooling methods, performance results, etc.

Play nice guys; I don't get to ban anyone very often.

Greerso

Newcomer
Born in working class London, managed my first rock band at 15, a few others for the next decade. My first computer was a Commodore 64, used to copy basic out of Byte magazine and never did learn what PEEK or POKE meant. Started working at a photo agency at 16, 30 years later I'm doing pretty much the same thing at the NY office of that London company. Along the way as part of helping run a small business, had to learn how to use a telex machine, dos, windows 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 3.11 (with tcp/ip), eventually servers, until we had a small datacenter and most recently moved it all to cloud.

I heard about Bitcoin on Digg.com long before it was worth $1 and dismissed it as nonsense, later when it hit $10 then $100 still thought it was nonsense, didn't even bother to read the whitepaper. When it hit $600, thought about buying some and didn't. I eventually got in when almost everyone else did around the holidays of 2017. Started with a small mining rig and have been learning every spare moment since.

I ride a Triumph Rocket III Roadster motorcycle almost every day and own a three legged Great Dane with cancer. Charlie died 10/10, one of the hardest things I've had to do. We miss her every day.

Oooh, look who is beneath me o_O 👇👇

Last edited:

Pandoraaaaa

Newcomer
I like reading everybody's story. Hopefully many more coming...

I had $20 in BTC left over from a medical purchase that magically turned into $100 last Christmas. That was the wake-up call. I know somebody that has BTC from playing poker and can't remember his password. There's a lesson there I guess.

I'm a grandma as of this summer. Crypto will be my legacy to him - so let's make a success of this, right? I know everyone is so sad about this down market, but I see it as an opportunity to build and crystal ball tells me 2-5 years until the next crazy bubble. Overall I hope for reasonable profits, not lambo. I wouldn't mind an electric truck.

I ski like a banshee, that's my true love. Well also my animals. I got a degree in physics long ago and it led me to being a hack of a programmer (not a hacker). Programming always pays good money. And now I can work from home, that is THE BEST. So yeah, here I am.

I have a dream to set up a system: solar panels -> crypto mining in immersion -> greenhouse tomatoes.

own a three legged Great Dane with cancer.
My family had three great danes when I was a teenager. Sweethearts. Sorry for your challenges there.

maxxpayne

Newcomer
Here to learn everything about crypto. I have a Masters degree in Computer Science. I like to keep myself updated to different things around crypto mining. I have a huge respect for Kristy-Leigh Minehan. She's freaking awesome and so darn talented. (fanboy rant ;) ) Just like Greerso I heard about Bitcoin back in 2010 but there were so many scams with PTC, PTSU that I ignored the whole concept of digital currency. We learn from mistakes so here I am making sure I have a substantially diverse cryptofolio.

Roxor

Newcomer
I didn't pay any attention to Bitcoin until mid-2017, when people started mentioning Nicehash in gaming subreddits. I rode that wave until I was beached with everyone else in Fall 2018. Now I'm part of the hoard searching around for 'what's next?'. ASIC-of-the-month? FPGAs? So exciting!

BDF_

Newcomer
I'd been into computer building and tech news for years, and am an engineer by training, so I had known about bitcoin pretty early on but never wanted to buy any until I felt the mood change around June 2017. From there got into some altcoins, and then mining since building rigs is an excuse to buy high end hardware I could never otherwise justify the cost of.

R402

Newcomer
I am a retired IT professor, I have a couple Masters and Doctorate degrees. I owned a computer business back in the 90s when I used to assemble computers and sell through Computer Shopper magazine.

I started mining Litecoin in 2013 and exchanged them for Bitcoin, I had about 42 Bitcoin and sold them in 2014, some for as little as $250. I still mine just as a hobby, I have about 58 1070s, 8 RX580, 2 Vega56 and a few 1060, but I retired to a condo so no more than about 20 will be turned on at any one time (my wife hates the heat, noise and light bill).

I have been impressed by the depth of knowledge displayed on the FPGA Discord and even if I don’t post I will be a frequent visitor.

NWhiskeyTango

Newcomer
I have the ultimate gearhead's job. My mining rig (late '17) is the first computer I have owned since the mid '90s. Love what I do and that it allows me to have a hobby such as delve into the crypto world. The red market sucks but I am excited for this new (to me) tech. I feel the storm is still headed our way and the current state of it all is just the feeder bands. That's probably just the gin talking I don't typically like to rant about myself.

CryptoBiker

Newcomer
OK, I have finally found the time to find my way over from the FPGA discord server....
now, where do I go to see the scaring memes that @Dream posts. lol

Coltrain

Newcomer
Hai everyone. I am a Ravencoin cult member and purchased Acorns for my 4 mining rigs. The thought of potentially doubling my hash with the little turbo boosters gets me wet and wild.

Last edited:

Whitelotus

Newcomer
Hello guys im whitelotus automotive certified master technician from toyota.lexus,mercedes benz,chrysles,ford now im on powersports my dream become a comm.engineer but no luck for getting on school coz im totally orphaned since 2 years old it was my hobby to do some copy paste on google;) for computer stuff please dont be hard on me coz im not good speaking english so my grammar was bad.

vapourminer

Newcomer
found out about bitcoin in 2011 in an anandtech thread. figured what the heck.. pointed my ATI HD4850 at slush and after figuring out how mtgox and dwolla worked, actually turned hash into fiat in the bank. pretty wild at that time. so added a few gpu cards and mined for a while with them.

then early fpgas came out and added one of those, a bfl (boooo! hisss!) unit that actually made profit due to the delays asics had coming out. had an early jalapeno too that did slightly better than break even (in fiat anyway) due to it being one of the 1st to be delivered.

after the asic fiasco i shut down everything and for the next couple three years basically just hodled.

then a couple years back i got into alt mining again with a few rx390s. ahhh the soothing sound of hardware humming along again. the late nights tweaking again. the electric bills.. yeah, well that last bit.. but meh, gotta pay to play..

so now just one rig with 7 cards on a riserless onda d8p board. its on autopilot, havent touched it in months. it just works.

and two 215+s, a 101, and a 2x and 4x nest on order. plus a bcu1525 with upgraded active cooling ordered as well.

soon life will again be full of reading, sleepless night tweaking, babysitting, experiments, bloodshot eyes... cant wait!

Last edited:

Blackminer_Lili

Newcomer
Hello everyone, I am a miner sale, and I am also a miner.
I used to mine some altcoins with Antminers, but it seems that it is not as easy as I directly buy coins. So I have shut down some them this October.
Now I am moving to the FPGA industry, and working at Blackminer team.
I think I find a new and promising direction.

Oxzhor

Newcomer
Hi all,

I'm Oxzhor and an gpu miner for 2 years now and make the move to fpga's.

Cya!

Ma907xb

Newcomer
Hello Everyone,

Just a lonely miner trying to make ends meat. I'd like to get into FPGA as I believe it's were the future of mining resides. It would be nice to have a forum were relevant information is available to study and learn. I hope to be an active member. I'm a member of the Discord community, but hard to find relevant information for learning. I operate an active mine with a group of investors in the USA and am looking to expand and diversify my investments. Consistency is excellency. Words I try to live by. -MB

subie117

Newcomer
So new to the forum and excited to be dipping my feet into FPGA's. I have a BCU 1525 and waiting for my cooling kit to get it all setup.

Top Bottom