Discussion Unconventional cooling ideas

kozi

Newcomer
Hey People
i had a crazy idea. it might work but i don't know how efficient it is. Like i said before its a crazy idea.

i was sitting in my office thinking how can i cool my 3 water cooled bcu's and then i heard a bubbling noise.
i looked over and my work college was filling his cup with water from a dispenser. and then DING DING light bulb, i rembered Linus from youtube cooled his pc with and aquarium cooler and thought this might work the same

i don't know how fast it lets water out (Lt/per min) but if its water tight and air tight that means the pumps should be able to push the water threw

and way it's just an idea and i thought id throw it out there

Attachments

BDF_

Newcomer
You'll probably use a lot more power than you need to, and I doubt that office style water cooler is designed to be running its compressor or peltier device 24/7. You'd cool cheaper (and probably better) just incresing your flow rate with more pumps in series and adding another radiator to the loop between your individual bcus.

TL:DR Possible, but expensive and unreliable.

OP
OP
kozi

kozi

Newcomer
yer probs. i was under the impression that the water cooler doesn't have a compressor. it uses a Peltier Module. i don't know how efficient it is.
so one side of the module get hot and the other side get cold when powered.

here is a video on how someone made a loop with the Peltier Module

BDF_

Newcomer
But you still have to cool the hot side of the peltier device, effectively reintroducing air cooling and ducting requirements. They're inefficient as fuck as a way to cool things, only to be used when you have modest cooling needs and need to be silent or all electric.

NWhiskeyTango

Newcomer
Love the idea and enginuity, but to add, at the most basic level you would want to use distilled water, not straight up tap water. Corrosives would ruin metal parts in your loop.

OP
OP
kozi

kozi

Newcomer
yer tru. i just looked into this idea more and it would cost to much money to run. i found out they dont run 24/7 there a thermocouple sensor that kicks on and off the current to the pad for cooling/heating. arhh well back to the drawing board :)

Aimbot

Newcomer
If you have well water you could do a water to water heat exchanger and route the warmed water back into the well. This would also work with a decorative pond as well.

NWhiskeyTango

Newcomer
If you have well water you could do a water to water heat exchanger and route the warmed water back into the well. This would also work with a decorative pond as well.
My well in SoFlo was high in iron. It would have to be after the water softener/conditioner, and maybe lower the life span. Still, I don't think it would get out enough iron iron for me system.

Top Bottom